Monday, November 14, 2011

Treinta y cinco

I took a planned "well" day today and was lucky enough to spend much of it outdoors enjoying some lovely, unseasonably mild temperatures.  I headed first to the woods for a meandering run up rocky, leaf-carpeted trails, along a ridge path with newly revealed views, and around a lake still reflecting the jewel tones of lingering foliage.   The journey was sandwiched on each end with urban running, integrating it fully with everyday life.  What a gift to be able to experience this on a daily basis...

A few hours later I traveled in the opposite direction (and with the help of an engine this time) to the beach.  After chowing down the best Middle Eastern food in the area (sadly not made by one of the several restaurants downtown) I joined the many other people strolling along the boardwalk.  I don't come here often; it isn't a long trip but it involves soul-killing time on I-95 and US-1 that can easily turn the most pleasant day into a maddening frenzy of tractor trailers, ridiculously frequent traffic lights and cars darting among a sea of big box stores and chain restaurants.  Coming off a relaxing weekend (and mellowed out significantly by the longer than usual run earlier) none of this bothered me.  The water worked its usual soothing magic and helped put all those transient annoyances in perspective.

As the clouds roll in I'm ready to curl up with some reading; I'm trying to be disciplined and finish the novel I'm halfway through before diving into one of my birthday gifts, Haruki Murakami's latest.  I'm a latecomer to his writing, but what I've read so far (two novels and a wonderful memoir/mediation about long-distance running) has given me tremendous respect for his creativity and, just as important, has been thoroughly entertaining.

A simple day, with simple pleasures, including leftovers from last night's maple-raspberry cake...


(Considering the size of the cake and the number of years I've logged we decided for a symbolic candle arrangement, although I can't quite remember what it stands for...maybe one for each celebrant!)

No comments:

Post a Comment