Thursday, February 14, 2013

Culinary Ad-Lib

I can't tell you how many close calls I've had when adding cinnamon to oatmeal...today my reflexes weren't fast enough and I realized after the fact that I had sprinkled (quite liberally) cumin instead of cinnamon into the pot.   I decided to just roll with it and consider my breakfast Moroccan-themed.  I had already used orange juice for part of the water and mixed in some raisins, so this wasn't too much of a stretch.  I added some cinnamon to balance out the cumin, stirred in some coconut milk, ground flaxseed, walnuts, sliced bananas and blueberries and topped with a swirl of raspberry preserves-- and voila!
Moroccan Fusion Steel Cut Oats

The end result was delicious, proving once again that improvisation in the kitchen (and coloring outside the lines of recipes, which I often do), can yield very pleasant surprises...

No comments:

Post a Comment