Sunday, February 3, 2013

Home Cooking Away From Home

One week into my return to the mountains of North Carolina and it's now clear that this is a vacation rather than a relocation.  Gorgeous mountain landscapes, a relaxed pace, unconventional culture and, yes, abundant vegan-friendly restaurants can't make up for living 750 miles away from the people who mean the world to me.  Next week I'll return home and make another go at creating a life there, this time without always looking over my shoulder at what might have been had I stayed in NC.

In the meantime I plan to make the most of the vegan-friendly food scene here by doubling back to some of the restaurants I've already visited so far-- Rosetta's (my absolute favorite for its flavor-rich comfort food), Laughing Seed, Plant (a newcomer since I was last here; dangerously close to being too pretentious for my tastes but the seitan reuben and fancy fries were yummy), Green Sage-- as well as a couple that I've yet to revisit or try for the first time-- Nine Mile and VegHeads (a fast food drive-thru!).

Despite all these fabulous options for dining out (or taking out and dining in, which is sometimes just easier and more comfortable for a single introvert!), I've also been taking advantage of staying somewhere with a full kitchen (except, alas, for the oven, which is sadly nonfunctional) and easy access to two elaborately stocked natural foods stores-- Earthfare and Greenlife (unfortunately run by Whole Foods, which automatically makes it my second choice even though it's more conveniently located within walking distance).  Here are some of my recent creations:



Veggie Curry with Chickpeas


Veggie Curry with Chickpeas
(Inspired by “Chickpea and Spinach Curry” from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

3 T olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
2 t mustard seeds
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T fresh ginger, minced
1 T curry powder
2 t ground cumin
1/8 t ground cloves
½ t ground cinnamon
1 t salt
2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
1 bunch kale, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces 
1 (14.5-oz.) can fire roasted crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained(**for a kick, try Muir Glen Adobo Seasoned)
2 (15-oz.) cans chickpeas, drained

  1. Heat a large saucepan over moderate heat; add the oil and then the mustard seeds and cover immediately as seeds will start popping (and flying out of the pan, believe me!). Cook for about 1 minute.
  2. Uncover (carefully!), add onion and turn up the heat to medium-high. Sauté for about 10 minutes or until the onion starts to brown.
  3. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.
  4. Add spices and salt and sauté for 1 minute.
  5. Add carrots and sauté for 2 minutes.
  6. Add kale in batches, stirring until all the leaves are bright green and somewhat wilted.
  7. Add tomatoes (and juice) and stir well. 
  8. Add chickpeas and stir well. 
  9. Add water (about ½ cup) if needed to achieve desired consistency (I prefer it a little saucy but not soupy).
  10. Lower heat and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes, until carrots and kale are tender.
  11. Uncover and taste; add spices and salt as desired. 
  12. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 more minutes, until thick and stewlike.
  13. Serve over brown rice or grain of choice if desired (or mix rice in before serving).


Smoky Tempeh and Carolina Slaw Sandwich with Sweet Potato Home Fries

I used this recipe for the tempeh (with chipotle powder as my chili powder of choice):

Smoky Tempeh Wrap!

smothered in Earthfare deli's Carolina Slaw and pressed between two slices of Trader Joe's Sprouted Flourless Whole Wheat Berry Bread slathered with Veganaise.   For a side I sauteed some red onion and sweet potatoes in olive oil with salt and more chipotle powder (I initially balked at the pricetag on this but it's now my go-to spice!).



Pumpkin-Cashew Creamy Pasta with Kale and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Inspired by this:

Roasted Butternut Alfredo | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking...

My variations included using 1 can of pumpkin puree for the roasted butternut squash and adding kale and sun-dried tomatoes (I like the soft kind that come in a plastic, resealable bag at Trader Joe's) to the onion mixture.  I also used 1/3 cup of sherry in lieu of the wine just because it's what I had on hand (and I wanted to save the yummy organic monastrell I had for drinking!).

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment