Sunday, February 17, 2013

Let us eat cake!

Today was the perfect day--overcast, chilly and forbiddingly windy-- to bake a cake from scratch.  This was my first attempt at a layer cake, and I have to say, the result was pretty fantastic:






I braved the howling gusts outside to deliver big slabs of the chocolate-strawberry goodness to two neighbors who helped our family during the blizzard-- one couple by easing my parents' shoveling burden and a man who pushed my car free of snow when I got stuck in a cursorily plowed street on the very last stretch of my journey home from vacation.

This gesture was apropos of the latest podcast from Our Hen House, in which Chloe Coscarelli talked about using baking (and more specifically sharing the fruits of baking) as a form of activism by introducing more people to the joys of eating vegan cuisine.  The podcast also included a discussion about how our non-vegan friends and family often treat our veganism like a hobby or a club to which we belong and which concerns them only as a topic of conversation or consideration when choosing restaurants or preparing meals for us.  The assumptions underlying this tendency are, for most of us, far from correct.  We don't want anyone to think of us as "other"-- we would much rather live in a world where the label "vegan" was unnecessary, where everyone would agree not to use animals for food, entertainment, clothing or to fulfill any other material needs and desires.

On that note, I'll step off of my soapbox and slice a piece of that cake to enjoy with tea...

No comments:

Post a Comment