Sunday, February 10, 2013

Into the snow...but not yet!



Fully-loaded oatmeal, courtesy of Hampton Inn, perfect for warming up after a chilly run around the lovely town of Winchester, Virginia and fueling up for the final leg of my journey back to blizzard-blitzed Connecticut.  Onwards...

Or, as it turned out, staying put for another day while the plows clear the roads in my hometown.  I tried to just enjoy the extra vacation day and spend enough time outside and on my feet to counter all the hours spent sitting in the car yesterday (and the additional time on the road tomorrow).  A recurring metatarsal stress fracture has limited my running lately but strolling around Old Town and the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley was, to be honest, equally as satisfying as getting in a second run for the day (more evidence that I'm mellowing out with age!).  I was also able to walk to nearby restaurants for lunch and dinner, and as the pictures below attest, my experiences disproved the common assumption that maintaining a vegan lifestyle is difficult, if not impossible, while traveling:

Vegetarian Burrito Bowl at Chipotle, piled high with brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, three different salsas, guacamole and romaine

Drunken Noodles with Vegetables and Tofu at Thai Winchester II


A quick tour of the local supermarket, Martin's, revealed an extensive "Natural and Organic" section that would have enabled me to whip up some fabulous meals if I had a kitchen at my disposal...[sigh].  As much as I enjoy eating out I'm really looking forward to being able to try out some new recipes, prepare some reliable favorites and create some unique dishes of my own.  And share the bounty with family and friends...


No comments:

Post a Comment